These are questions that I am frequently asked. If you do not see what you are looking for, please contact me so I can first answer your question, and then add it here.
How much will it cost me?
How will I be billed?
Work is billed monthly and paid on a retainer basis. All work is completed at the hourly rate which is stated in your straight forward contract.
Invoices for ongoing services are sent out every two weeks and due on the date stated on the invoice. Regular services will be interrupted by an overdue account. Payments received past the due date will incur a 2% interest charge per month, until the account is settled in full.
Do I need to sign a contract?
Since my clients are the sole judge or my performance, if at any time you are unsatisfied with my work you may cancel your contract with written notice to Lux Bookkeeping.
Do I need to purchase the QuickBooks software?
Is my business too small?
I am focused on small and home-based businesses, the self-employed and entrepreneurs. I am here to help whether you need two hours of bookkeeping a year, or ten hours each week.
I'm not located in San Diego, can you still help me?
Can you help me do my bookkeeping myself?
Why should I hire a bookkeeper?
I manage your finances so you can focus on what you do best.
Why hire a bookkeeper instead of a CPA (Certified Public Accountant)?
CPA’s are great for getting taxes done, but most charge $100 an hour or more and specialize in tax-centralized knowledge. They do not hone in on the day-to-day details of your business. I offer bookkeeping services at a fraction of the cost, and since I specialize in QuickBooks record keeping year-round, I am an expert in what I do.
I do encourage all of my clients to work with a CPA or EA (Enrolled Agent) to have their taxes properly prepared each year. Lux Bookkeeping works closely with many of our current clients CPA’s to ensure easy transfer of information at the end of the year for pain free, timely, and accurate tax preparation.
Why should I outsource my bookkeeping?
I'm not sure if I want to hire an individual bookkeeper or a firm?
- You will receive highly attentive and personalized service – I get to know you and your business
- You will not get “shuffled” around to different bookkeepers – I will always personally handle your work and your calls
- You will receive detailed invoices with no hidden costs
- Same hours as any firm or CPA office, at a much lower cost
Do you outsource bookkeeping offshore?
Why should I use QuickBooks?
QuickBooks can be easy to use, accurate, and a powerful reporting tool for record keeping. This popular software can help you to save time and money by getting you organized today. I can help your business get set up and started in a matter of hours.
Working with Lux Bookkeeping
What are your hours?
How much experience do you have? Do you have references?
I also have excellent references, available upon request after completion of a complimentary consultation. Because I strive to offer great customer service, many of my clients have been with me since the beginning. You can also review my skills and endorsements on my LinkedIn profile.
Can I trust you with my financial data and other sensitive information?
I pledge that all client information I receive is treated with confidentiality and the utmost respect. Physical records that are taken off of client’s premises are stored securely in a locked metal filing cabinet unless currently being worked on, or until returned. All electronic records are on secure servers with high security passwords and firewall protection.
What is your process?
- De-clutter your work area
- Free up your workspace once and for all so that you can find peace of mind, and your red stapler!
- Make space to have everything in its place
- Sort, organize, and file your paperwork
- Shred unneeded paperwork
- Create and maintain a filing system customized to your needs
- Custom document and form creation
- Set up or clean up your QuickBooks file and chart of accounts
- Full-charge bookkeeping: Find and record your transactions, receipts, bills, and other financial data
- Reconcile each account to ensure accurate information
- Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
- Customized invoices, estimates, purchase orders and statements
- Bill paying and check writing/printing
- Create an inventory system, including customized purchase orders
- Collections process development and maintenance
- Email integration
- Budget creation and cash flow management
- Financial statements and customized reports
- Learn to read financial statements, such as a Profit and Loss and a Balance Sheet report
- Understand where your money goes and where it comes from, and how to maximize each
- Gain knowledge to make informed business decisions
- Guide your business towards profit and success
How do I get my documentation to you? Do you require that I scan or mail paperwork?
How do I get started?
If during your initial consultation an accurate estimate cannot be created due to lack of information, I will help you create a detailed action plan to gather the needed information.
If you approve of your estimate, the next steps include:
- Review and sign a simple and straight forward, one-page contract
- Gather your financial source data, such as banking statements, invoices, and receipts
- Sit back and let me work for you!
Learn more about my services.
Do you offer a free consultation?
During this initial consultation you can expect a thorough examination of your current financial situation and a complete records assessment, including a review of your current QuickBooks file (if you have one). I will ask questions to identify your current challenges so I can offer solutions to help get you where you want to be.
Call today to set up a free initial consultation and find out all Lux Bookkeeping can do for you and your small business.
Bookkeeping & Tax Questions
What is bookkeeping, and how is it different from accounting?
Do you help with more than just bookkeeping?
Learn more about my services.
How long will it take to complete my bookkeeping?
Do you offer catch-up bookkeeping?
Many small businesses come to me months, or even years, behind in their bookkeeping and financial data and tax returns. Lux Bookkeeping can take the stress off by gathering all of your documents and organizing your financial data into an orderly system in a matter of days, getting you ready for tax preparation in about a week. Never put off filing your taxes or file an extension again, let me help today.
Do you prepare tax returns?
I strongly encourage all of my clients work with a CPA or EA (Enrolled Agent) to have their taxes properly prepared each year. Lux Bookkeeping works closely with many of our current clients CPA’s to ensure easy transfer of information at the end of the year for pain free, timely, and accurate tax preparation.
Do you work with my tax preparer, accountant, or CPA?
In fact, I strongly encourage all of my clients to work with a CPA or EA (Enrolled Agent) to have their taxes properly prepared each year. Lux Bookkeeping works closely with many of our current clients CPA’s to ensure easy transfer of information at the end of the year for pain free, timely, and accurate tax preparation.
How do I keep my QuickBooks file secure?
- Only allow personnel access to your QuickBooks file if needed
- Set up an administrator user and password for your file
- Ensure all personnel have an individual QuickBooks user and password
- Ensure that your administration password and personnel passwords are secure. The best passwords include numbers, punctuation and mixed case. This type of password is exponentially harder to discover than a simple phrase or word. Memorize your password and do not store it in an obvious location, if at all. Here is a great article on how to choose a secure password from wikiHow.
- Do not allow bookkeepers and financial personnel to sign checks or have direct access to bank accounts; keep these types of tasks separate
- Back-up your financial data regularly, preferably not on your local hard drive
- Keep your file in one place, and do not move it from computer to computer if possible
- Setup a firewall to secure your Internet connection